|A storm system will bring severe storms to the region this evening with damaging winds and possibly a few tornadoes. Historically rare very strong winds will then impact the area through the night. The winds will start out of the south, swinging around to the west later in the evening and overnight hours. Wind gusts to 65 mph are likely.
The winds will likely result in power outages and damage property. Driving will be difficult, especially for high-profile vehicles. Secure loose objects and holiday decorations.
A High Wind Warning is in effect for the entire area.
Tonight: Very Strong Winds
- What: winds 25 to 35 mph with gusts to 65 mph. The winds will go from south to west in the evening.
- Where: Entire area.
- Impacts: Damaging winds could blow down trees and power lines. Widespread power outages are possible, which may stop home heating systems. Travel will be difficult, especially for high-profile vehicles. Empty semi-trailers could be blown over.
- ACTION: Secure loose objects and holiday decorations. If traveling, be prepared for strong winds.
This Evening: Severe Storms
- What: Very fast moving severe storms expected. Damaging winds up to 70 mph. Isolated tornadoes possible
- Where: Entire area, but greatest threat west of the Mississippi River.
- Timing: 6 to 10 pm this evening
- Impacts: Enhanced wind damage to trees, property possible.
- ACTION: be ready to shelter very quickly if warnings are issued - movement of storms could result in limited time to react.