September 22, 2020
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
“October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month”
Helping Services for Youth & Families’ Domestic Abuse Resource Center (DARC) is hosting Domestic Violence Awareness during the month of October. In Iowa and around the world, October is a month to create awareness around domestic violence, using the color purple to symbolize the cause.
Throughout the month of October you will notice areas that highlight domestic violence awareness. We have a few ways you can support local survivors of domestic violence:
- Throughout the month of October, Pivo Brewery & Blepta Studios in Calmar will be donating 20% of their online sales to DARC.
- On Saturday, October 17, Luna Valley Farm in Decorah will be providing 20% of pizza sales to DARC. All pizza orders need to be made in advance.
Last year, the Helping Services’ DARC team of advocates and volunteers assisted 223 individual survivors of domestic abuse in the 7 counties the team serves (Allamakee, Bremer, Chickasaw, Clayton, Fayette, Howard, and Winneshiek). Staff and volunteers also answered 1,728 calls on our Resource Line and provided 88 transportation trips for clients. For more info about Helping Services’ DARC please call 800-383-2988 or visit www.helpingservices.org to access our chat option with an advocate.
Submit a story to be featured on the KNEI website under the community news. Photos are welcome!
- ‘Arrest Cuomo’ T-shirts a hit at CPAC
- Vanessa Bryant slams Evan Rachel Wood for calling Kobe a ‘rapist’ after his death
- NY Gov. Cuomo accused of sexual harassment for 2nd time
- Kansas officers hurt in 'possible explosion' in downtown Wichita
- Lady Gaga's dogs were found tied to a pole by 'good samaritan': report