Posted: October 21, 2020 at 10:19 am
It’s horror movie time …. and when it comes to scary movies it seems that people either love ‘em or hate ‘em. Not too many people are neutral on the subject. If you’re a fan of scary movies, experts say these are some possible reasons why:
- Being scared can give you an adrenaline rush. Horror movies can trigger your brain’s fight or flight response.
- Even though you’re terrified and your heart is racing … you know you are safe. There’s something about getting to that edge, and then turning back – knowing you are not in real danger.
- It helps you prepare for the worst and learn how to cope. The world can be a scary place sometimes. Watching fictional characters deal with it can helps us learn how to cope with our own fears and anxieties.
- It lets you explore your own dark side. People may not want to admit it but there are parts of them that want to lash out sometimes. Watching horror movies allows them to do that.
- It makes you think you’re different than the victim — and therefore more likely to survive. Watching people in horror movies make stupid moves and decisions convinces us that if we were in those situations, we wouldn’t make those poor choices and would survive.
It’s reminds us of a certain commercial that’s been on TV recently…