Posted: May 29, 2020
Oneota Community Co-op Re-Opening Store to Public Beginning June 1
DECORAH, IOWA 5/27/2020
The Oneota Community Co-op in Decorah, Iowa has taken extraordinary measures to keep customers and staff safe during the COVID-19 pandemic outbreak. Since March 11, the store was closed to customer traffic and immediately launched an online and phone ordering system with curbside service. Beginning Monday, June 1 the Co-op will open its doors to the public and continue the online and phone ordering system to accommodate the needs of customers. Physical store hours will be 10:00 am to 7:00 pm every day.
“Since day one, we have offered the safest way to purchase groceries in our area,” said General Manager David Lester, “and that will continue with the re-opening of the store” he continued. The Co-op Deli will also re-open with many new options for take-home meals and other grab and go options that were previously not available.
For nearly 11 weeks we have been offering the safest way to buy groceries in northeast Iowa during the COVID-19 outbreak. Now, with our doors about to open, we will continue to offer the safest shopping environment for our staff and customers, but we need your help. We ask that you join in the effort to keep us all safe:
- Wear a mask. We will be requiring customers to wear a mask into the store. During the first two weeks of re-opening the Seamsters Union of Winneshiek County have provided us with enough masks to give out to customers who do not have one. A suggested donation of $3-$5 for each mask will be much appreciated to keep this group making masks for our community!
- Practice good hygiene. There are multiple hand sanitizing stations throughout the store – including in our entryway. Please use them, our employees are doing the same.
- Wash your hands. A portable hand washing sink will be placed in our entryway and we expect customers to wash and/or sanitize their hands before entering the sales floor. Public restroom access will not be available in-store.
- Limit the number of those shopping. To keep a safe number of customers shopping in the store, we ask that you try to limit your shopping group to yourself or one other person.
- Plan ahead. Keep your shopping trip as efficient and brief as possible. We want to make sure you find everything you are looking for and we will have some staff on the floor to help you find everything you need.
- Socially distance yourself. Please maintain physical distance between yourself and others. We recommend a minimum of 6 feet. You will also see floor decals and other signage to help remind you.
- Elevated cleaning procedures. Our employees adhere to strict CDC and National Cooperative Grocer cleaning standards. Additionally, we have enhanced these standards to clean and sanitize high frequency touchpoints like door handles, registers, trash receptacles, keypads and self-service dispensers.
- Pay by credit/debit. Please come prepared to pay with a bank/credit card or mobile pay, if possible. Cards are more hygienic than cash payment.
- These are only a few of the changes we are making. Please check out our latest store update post on our website – oneotacoop.com – for more information!
Storefront/Curbside Pick-up Continues
On Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday we will continue to fulfill online and phone orders with storefront/curbside pick-up. The deadline for online orders is 6:00 pm the prior day (Monday, Wednesday, Saturday). Phone orders will be accepted only from 9:00 am to 10:00 am Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday with same-day fulfillment. You may also email your order to firstname.lastname@example.org with the same 6:00 pm deadline as online orders.
About Oneota Community Food Co-op
Located in downtown Decorah, Oneota Community Food Co-op is a cooperatively-owned grocery store specializing in local, organic, and sustainably produced products since 1974. For over four decades, the Co-op has been the leading provider of whole foods at a reasonable cost, with an emphasis on organic, local and bulk foods. The Oneota Community Food Co-op was named the 2020 Outstanding Single Store by Progressive Grocer. Located at 312 West Water Street in Decorah, or online at www.oneotacoop.com.